Fire Destroys Ingham County Home - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Fire Destroys Ingham County Home

Posted:

A Tuesday morning fire left an Ingham County man homeless. 

The flames broke out around 4 a.m. Tuesday at a home on Thurlby Road, just west of Mason.

The fire chief with the city of Mason says the man's dog probably saved his life. He says it looks like the fire started in the garage and quickly spread to the attic, and it's because the location of the fire the smoke detectors didn't go off right away. The fire was actually burning over the man as he slept. It was his dog's barking that woke him up. That's when he opened up the garage door and saw nothing but flames. He immediately got out of the house.

"The fire was pretty much in the attic space, over his head, plus in the garage so... now when I got here, the smoke detectors were going off, but I imagine at that time they hadn't been alerted yet... I think the dog needs a big steak dinner tonight," said Chief Kerry Minshall.

It took fire crews a couple hours to get the flames under control.

Fire investigators will be at the home Tuesday afternoon looking for clues as to how the fire started. At this point, the fire chief has ruled it accidental. The house is a total loss.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.