Cops: Man Burned After Meth Making Accident - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Cops: Man Burned After Meth Making Accident

Update:

What used to be primarily found in rural areas, is now popping up around neighborhoods and cities. It's dangerous, illegal and seems to be becoming more common. Lt. David cook with the Jackson Narcotics Enforcement Team says "he came out of the garage, he was on fire and a neighbor saw him burning and apparently put him out."

Lt. Cook says they found all the makings of a suspected one pot meth lab or what some call the "shake and bake" method, cooking meth inside a bottle. Lt. Cook says "it's a problem and its going to continue to be a problem." A problem that is inching closer to neighborhoods, Lt. Cook says he is called out to at least one meth lab a week. "Your 'e going to find it wherever your going to find it, it doesn't matter, its going to be where people think they're not going to get caught."

But it seems more people are taking the risk. Just last week there was a possible meth lab at a home burned to the ground in Blackman-Leonie Township. Last month a cleaning crew was caught cooking meth in a Lansing business and in August another suspected lab found in a Lansing neighborhood.

 "They're going do it wherever they can, whether its in their car, in a garage in a shed, in the woods in the basement, bedroom, kitchen they don't care." Officials with Michigan State Police's Tri County Metro Narcotics Squad say its moved into cities as the methods change. Something that used to take hours to make, people are now doing in 20 to 30 minutes.

Angela Canfield lives right down the street from this most recent lab and say something needs to be done to keep this from happening again." I'm very angry that someone would think of bringing a meth lab around here when they know there's kids around here."

Officials say the man suffered from burns over 40 percent of his body. At last check, the 24 year old man was in serious but stable condition at the University of Michigan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ A man is being treated at the university of Michigan after police say he was burned while cooking meth. It happened around 7:20 p.m. On Sunday along the 100 block of s. Forbes in Jackson. Police say the 24-year-old was cooking meth by what they call the "shake and bake" method when it happened. Witnesses say the man came running out of the garage on fire. They put out the flames and the man drove himself to allegiance hospital. He was later taken to the university of Michigan for treatment.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.