Boy Being Hailed a 'Hero' After Saving Family from Fire - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Boy Being Hailed a 'Hero' After Saving Family from Fire

Posted:

A young boy is being called "a hero" for saving his family from their burning home.

Fire officials say the flames broke out at about 6a.m. Thursday on the 500 block of West Ganson Street in Jackson.

9-year-old Gabrielle Kelley-Cox is being given the credit for saving his family's life.

"I smelled smoke, and then I heard sparkling. So then I went down the stairs," said Gabrielle, remembering waking up to the fire.

The family of four made it out safely, but both adults went back inside to try to rescue their two cats. When fire crews arrived, they forced them back out.

Firefighters say it looks like the fire started in the attic and spread quickly. The family believes old wiring may be to blame. There were smoke detectors downstairs with new batteries, but they didn't go off.

The home was also not insurable, so the family says it's an even bigger loss.

The Red Cross has stepped-in to help the family.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.