Non-Profit Office Building Catches Fire - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Non-Profit Office Building Catches Fire

Posted:

A Jackson office building caught fire early Sunday morning, temporarily displacing several non-profit organizations.

The Jackson fire department says flames sparked around 8:30 A.M. at the United Way building on the 200 block of West Ganson Street. According to fire officials, the fire started from a heating unit on the roof and was called in by a passerby.

The structure only suffered minor smoke and water damage. Crews worked Monday to clean everything up in order to be able to turn on the water and electricity.

The USDA Farm Service Agency experienced the most damage of all the groups in the building. Since the FSA office in Jackson will likely be closed until Thursday, they're asking people who need to do business there to contact the Ingham County FSA office. Fire fighters say it's a good thing they were close, as it could have gotten a lot worse quickly.

"You're probably looking at easily $20-15,000 by the time you figure a heating unit and so forth," said Assistant Fire Chief Steve Childs with Jackson Fire Department.

Workers say the goal is to have everything re-opened by Thursday.

No injuries were reported.

Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507
Email: webmaster@wlns.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.