How to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

How to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted:

Every year the Center for Disease Control says more than 400 people die from the colorless, odorless gas, carbon monoxide.

Police in Flint say it became "all too real" for one family on Christmas who appears to have died from carbon monoxide posining a family of three, including 11-year-old Jayson Cobbin.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen fast, often without even knowing it's happening.

Bruce Odom with Lansing Fire says they respond to their fair share of carbon monoxide calls and offers a few simple reminders.

"Make sure the vents to the outside of the home, they're not blocked during the winter months, by snow or anything," said Odom, who suggests getting appliances checked annually.

Some of the common sources of CO in your home can come from a blocked chimney, an improperly ventilated, furnace, clothes dryer or even a gas stove.

CO poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms, but according to the CDC, people who are sleeping can die from CO poisoning before even feeling anything. One of the best ways to defend your family is a carbon monoxide detector.

Consumers Energy says when they tested the home in Flint hours after the victims were found, it tested negative for carbon monoxide, but according to MLive, a spokesperson for Consumers says it could have already cleared the air.

For more information on how to keep your family safe, visit the Seen on 6 portion of our website.

Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507
Email: webmaster@wlns.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.