Carbon Monoxide Leak Found at House Where 3 Died - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Carbon Monoxide Leak Found at House Where 3 Died

Posted:

FLINT, Mich. (AP) - A utility spokesman says a furnace was leaking carbon monoxide at a house in Flint where a couple and an 11-year-old boy died of apparent poisoning from the gas.

Flint police say 43-year-old LeTroy Edwards, 37-year-old Selena Carranza and 11-year-old Jayson Cobbin were found dead in the home on Christmas morning. Several other people who were in different parts of the house managed to escape.

Our media partners at Mlive.com reports that CMS Energy Corp. spokesman Dan Bishop says the furnace's boiler "was plugged with soot and was causing a carbon monoxide leak."

Authorities haven't released an official cause of death.

Federal authorities say about 400 people die nationwide each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless gas forms when something burns without an adequate supply of oxygen.

Find out how you can protect your family and home from carbon monoxide poisoning here.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.