'Green Cars' Highlighted at Detroit Auto Show - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

'Green Cars' Highlighted at Detroit Auto Show

Posted:

One thing you'll notice at the auto show in Detroit this year is more automakers making the shift to green technology.

From smart cars to plug in hyrbids, even luxury electric cars, being green is gaining popularity.

"We've made a real commitment to fuel economy leadership across the range, but specifically by launching six electrified products in the last year," said CJ O'Donnell, the group marketing manager with Ford Electric Vehicles.

Everything from the Focus Electric to the Fusion Hybrid, just now hitting the market.

You couple all that with two plug in hybrids at the same time and we've really taken the market by storm and grown our market share as a result of that," said O'Donnell. He says that at least 60 percent of the consumers who come to the showrooms are already thinking hybrids. 

"There's no question that fuel effiency is superbly important for all the automakers," said John McElroy, Host Auto-Line Daily.

Even Cadillac has joined the game, revealing the ELR at the show this year, a luxury version of the Chevy Volt.

"It's not just any electric, it's extended range electric which means you'll be able to commute up to 35 miles on totally electric, gas free, emission free driving," said Don Butler, Vice President of Marking with Cadillac.  

"The Q1 of 2012 electrified products accounted for 2 percent of the total industry. At the end of the year, 4 percent, and we expect next year they could be 6 percent. So this isn't something that's going to come and go. Its not a fad. It's a growing segment of the business that everyone is trying to participate in," said O'Donnell.

The Detroit Auto Show opens to the public on Saturday. For a list of ticket prices and show times, visit Seen on 6.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.