Bathroom Fan Causes Fire, Leaves Family Homeless - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Bookmark and Share

Bathroom Fan Causes Fire, Leaves Family Homeless


LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) - Officials have ruled that the fire that left a Lansing mom and her three kids homeless last week was caused by an electrical malfunction. Investigators say it started on the second floor of the home on the 1400 block of Linval Street in the ceiling of the home's bathroom, likely from the ventilation fan.

It serves as a warning for all homeowners.

"We see electrical fires on a common occurrence on a regular basis," said Eric Weber, Lansing Fire's spokesperson.

It's problem that can be prevented, by simply paying attention. Officials say to check fans every six months--that includes those in your kitchen, laundry room and bathroom. Make sure they're clear of lint and grease.

"If they suddenly don't work or start to make a noise, we ask people to please contact a licensed electrical worker to make sure that fan is properly working," said Weber. "The lint can get into the fan and dry out the bearings, dry out that fan. That fan can start to malfunction. If the fan seizes up and has an electrical current to it that switches on, it'll heat up until it causes a fire."

Weber also suggests treating your fans like you do a candle.

"You don't want to leave vent fans on for a long period of time unattended. When you leave the room or leave the home, make sure the fans are turned off."

Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.