Family Almost Dies of Carbon Monoxide Now Speaks Out - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Family Almost Dies of Carbon Monoxide Now Speaks Out

Posted:

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) - The family who nearly died from the carbon monoxide scare in Lansing is back in their home now. They're doing okay, but they're obviously still very shaken up.

  "I can't imagine losing my kids. I can't imagine my kids being sick like that," said Sharhonda Portee, fighting back tears.

Sharhonda never thought she'd see all five of her children gasping for air, hooked up to oxygen machines, but the morning of March 20th, that nightmare became a reality.

"I had this really bad headache. All I was getting ready to do was get up take a Motrin and get back to sleep," said Sharhonda.  

Little did she know her house was filled with toxic levels of carbon monoxide.

"I thought my mom was going to die," said Portee's five-year-old son Sincere.

Sincere doesn't fully understand what happened that night but his mother says he remembers feeling sick and helpless.

"I passed out then my brother,  tried to call 9-1-1, then he passed out," said Sincere.

"I tried to help my mom and then I just fell. I woke up and just started vomiting everywhere. We all just started falling," said thirteen-year-old Deshawn, who continued the 9-1-1 call his mom started, after, she says, she passed out mid-way through.

"It was the worst thing of my life because I'm watching my kids fall like dominoes and there's nothing I can do," said Sharhonda.

An ambulance took the family to Sparrow where medics airlifted them to a hospital in Grand Rapids.

"Had we been in this house five more minutes me and all my kids would have been dead," said Sharhonda.

She says the Lansing Housing Commission has since installed a carbon monoxide detector; still, the family was hesitant coming back to the house.

"We didn't come right in when we got [back home], we just sat in the driveway."

"I'm scared that there's going to be another problem and that we can actually die," said Deshawn.  

Despite those fears Sharhonda says the family knows they've got a lot to be thankful for today.

Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507
Email: webmaster@wlns.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.