Family House Goes Up in Flames, Reminder of the Important Things - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Family House Goes Up in Flames, Reminder of the Important Things


JACKSON, Mich. (WLNS) - Flames ripped through a Jackson family's home Sunday afternoon, destroying everything expect, as the family says, "the most important things."

It happened on the 300 block of Cherokee Lane in Jackson.

Pamela Ballew was taking a Sunday afternoon nap when a neighbor she didn't know woke her up.

"Some man was pulling me through the door and there was heavy smoke and the alarm was going off," said Ballew.

She says the fire, which started in the garage, caused propane tanks in the garage to explode, catching the house on fire. She watched it go up in flames from across the street. "My house was fully engulfed."

Her husband and that neighbor pulled Ballew's two children out first, but she didn't know that as they were trying to pull her from the flames.

"I was screaming, 'where are my kids' and they said they're out, but how do you believe that? So I started to go back, thinking I had to get them, but he yelled your kids are out, your kids are out and he pointed across the street to where they were," she said.

Ballew says they lost almost everything, even their cars burned in the driveway. But she has the most important things and offers parents a word of advice, "hug your kids."@

If you want to help the family, you can donate to their disaster fund through Fifth Third Bank. Contact the Branch that's located on Michigan Avenue in Jackson at 517-783-3540.

Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.