Students Blame Fireworks For Overnight Fire - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Students Blame Fireworks For Overnight Fire

Posted:

EAST LANSING, Mich. (WLNS)- Michigan State University students displaced by an overnight fire in East Lansing on Wednesday say fireworks launched from the roof might be the reason why flames broke out at their co-op.

The fire sparked shortly after 3 a.m. in the 200 block of Oakhill Avenue.

Students say the fire burned a 6-foot hole in the roof, allowing flames to spread through the home, damaging several rooms. At least four rooms suffered substantial fire and water damage.

Fire officials say some students will be allowed back into their homes late Wednesday or early Thursday, with the exception of about six students who live in the rooms that were destroyed. It could be several weeks before they can get back in.

29 students were displaced by the fire. They all have shelter either on MSU's campus or with friends and/or family.

Firefighters have not yet determined an official cause, but do confirm reports of illegal fireworks in the area.

Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507
Email: webmaster@wlns.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.