Suspect Makes Plea In I-96 Shooting Case - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Suspect Makes Plea In I-96 Shooting Case

A man charged in a series of shootings on and off Interstate 96 in Michigan has pleaded no contest but mentally ill to assault and firearms charges.

 

The Detroit News reports Raulie Casteel made the plea Wednesday in Oakland County Circuit Court. 

The 44-year-old geologist from Wixom had faced attempted murder among 60 charges linked to shootings last fall in Commerce Township and Wixom.

Defense lawyer Douglas Mullkoff says his client has been diagnosed as having a delusional disorder.

 

Casteel had been scheduled to stand trial next week.

He is to be sentenced January 30th. The Detroit Free Press says Casteel faces up to 12 years in prison.

 

In a separate but related case, the Michigan attorney general's office is prosecuting Casteel on terrorism and other charges in Livingston County.

Emerald Morrow will have more on that part of the story tonight on 6 News.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.