Accused I-96 Highway Shooter Makes Plea - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Accused I-96 Highway Shooter Makes Plea

Posted:

PONTIAC, Mich. (WLNS) – Just days before standing trial, the man accused of shooting at nearly two dozen cars along Interstate 96 last year pleaded on Wednesday "no contest," but "mentally ill" to 18 assault and felony firearm charges.

Oakland County prosecuting attorney Jessica Cooper says 44-year-old Raulie Casteel could spend up to 12 years in prison when he's sentenced at the end of January. Casteel originally faced 60 charges, but 42 of those charges were dismissed.

Casteel still faces terrorism charges in a separate, but related case, where he's accused in multiple shootings in Ingham, Shiawassee and Livingston Counties.

These charges were brought forth by the Michigan attorney general's office, which told 6 News it is confident and prepared for trial.

If convicted, he could face life in prison. Casteel's lawyer says his client suffers from a delusional disorder.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.