Porch Catches Fire, Forcing Family Out Of Home - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Porch Catches Fire, Forcing Family Out Of Home

Posted: Updated:

MASON, Mich. (WLNS) - An early morning fire in Mason left a home with extensive damage.

It happened around 6 a.m. Friday on West Ash Street. Neighbors noticed the fire and ran next door to wake the family up.

The fire chief says a strong wind helped fan the flames.

Officials say the family of three had their fireplace going Thursday night and put ashes on the porch, but the ashes were not put out properly.

The chief says the porch caught fire, then flames quickly spread to the attic.

"Ive been on several of these situations if in fact it proves to be the case where its coals from the fireplace, put them in a metal container and keep them away from the house and certainly make sure they're out. OUT. Out," said Chief Kerry Minshall, Mason Fire Dept.

The family made it out of the home safely.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.