Carbon Monoxide From Oven Sends 8 To Hospital - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Carbon Monoxide From Oven Sends 8 To Hospital

Posted: Updated:

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) - A family of eight ended up in the hospital with Carbon monoxide poisoning early Sunday morning.

That's after firefighters say they lost power and tried to heat their home with a gas oven.

It happened around 1 a.m. on Sunday in the northwest section of Lansing.

Firefighters say one by one, people started reporting flu-like symptoms. Medics figured out something was wrong and had an engine company test the air.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. That's why most people don't realize something is wrong until they start getting sick.

There are carbon monoxide detectors for sale. They're similar to smoke detectors.

There's information on carbon monoxide poisoning and gas appliances from the Centers for Disease Control here.

And while this incident happened because of a gas oven, carbon monoxide poisonings are more commonly associated with generators.

Michigan has a tip sheet on generators and carbon monoxide poisoning here.

*Corrects an earlier version that said 9 people were sent to the hospital

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.