Christmas Eve Morning Fire Severely Damages Home - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Christmas Eve Morning Fire Severely Damages Home

Posted: Updated:

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) - It's an unfortunate Christmas Eve morning for one Lansing family whose home caught fire early Tuesday morning.

It happened around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday in the 3000 block of Cambridge Road.

Homeowner Christopher Jackson said like many others in the area, he lost power due to the ice storm and was trying to keep his family warm.

"We tried to heat our house with the fire place and it went on all night with no problem, but we heard some knocking in the house around 7:30 and I went on downstairs in the basement where I heard my first fire going and I also had a fire going in the living room," said Jackson.

The flames made their way upstairs as well, but the homeowner, his son and his grandson got out safely, the only ones home at the time.

To avoid these problems, fire officials are highlighting the importance of smoke detectors. "Fire detectors are a big thing," said Bill Christiansen with LFD. "Make sure a lot of new houses, that they're pre-wired in the house so you'll want to make sure that you have a second one that's on a battery, so if you lose power, you won't lose your smoke detector."

The Red Cross is assisting the family with their living arrangements.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.