Doctors See Increase In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Doctors See Increase In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted: Updated:

 

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) - Many people are using generators to heat their homes as some are facing day 10 of no power. Officials are warning if they're not used correctly, however, they can be very dangerous.

Sparrow Hospital physicians say they've seen many people in the emergency room suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

In addition to treating over two dozen patients for weather related injuries following the storm, physicians have also been seeing at least two to three people come into the ER each day with carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

"Some people have been, in an attempt to heat their home, they have been using generators. Unfortunately, some have been using them in the garage or near vents that let into the house, so we have been seeing multiple family members all with the same symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning," said Dr. Stanlyn Powers, an emergency medicine physician at Sparrow Hospital.

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptons include dizziness, nausea and fainting. It can also lead to death.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.