Wind Spreads Flames From House Fire, Damages Church - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Wind Spreads Flames From House Fire, Damages Church

Posted: Updated:

ST. JOHNS, MI (WLNS) - Two families in St. Johns are recovering after flames forced them out of their home Wednesday night.

The fire started around 10 p.m. in the 300 block of North Whittemore, also known as business 127.

Flames shooting from the first floor and shooting from the windows, that's the scene firefighters were up against Wednesday night in St. Johns.

Fire officials believe the fire started in the basement and made it's way to the first floor.

Director of Public Safety for St. Johns, Mike Madden, told 6 News the wind made the fire extremely difficult to put out.

The blaze from inside caused the windows to break, allowing strong winds into the home, which spread the fire further.

Madden says the wind was so bad the smoke from the fire even damaged the church next door.

Both families did manage to make it out, but officials say all seven people who lived there suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to a local hospital.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Click Here to link to the FCC's public inspection file for WLNS-TV and Here to view the WLAJ-TV file. Persons with Disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's FCC public inspection file should contact: Teresa Morton- Program Director for WLNS and WLAJ at 517-372-8282. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or fccinfo@fcc.gov.