Summer campers not put off by cooler weather and look forward to Fall adventures.
CALIFORNIA TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Officials say nearly three-dozen racehorses died when a barn caught fire in southern Michigan.
Montgomery Fire Chief Brad Freeburn said the structure was engulfed in flames when crews arrived Saturday afternoon. A passer-by spotted smoke and called 911 around 12:30 p.m.
According to Freeburn, the barn is owned by an Angola, Ind., man who trains horses at the facility in Branch County's California Township. The 35 horses that died belonged to the man's clients.
The chief says the fire likely was sparked by an electrical malfunction, but remains under investigation.
The barn was declared a total loss.
Freeburn says the owner wasn't there when the fire broke out.
California Township sits along Michigan's southern boundary about 100 miles southwest of Detroit.
2820 East Saginaw Street, Lansing, MI 48912