Man Fixing Moped While Smoking Causes Fire - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Man Fixing Moped While Smoking Causes Fire

Posted: Updated:
LEONI TWP. MICH. (WLNS) - Families were displaced after a structure fire rips through the Colonial Inn in Leoni Township.

Officials got the call around 12:30 this morning. When they arrived, firefighters found one room fully engulfed in flames. This was also causing damage the second floor above the room.

Firefighters contained the fire to the single room but surrounding apartments also suffered smoke and water damage. The fire also damaged electrical wires that power the entire building. So 11 families were forced to leave for the night.

Officials believe that the tenant in the room was working on his moped in his apartment. They say that gas spilled onto the carpet in the room. The tenant was also smoking and the carpet ignited beneath his feet. He was treated for smoke inhalation at Allegiance Health and was released.

The Red Cross responded to the scene for the displaced residents. Grass Lake, Summit Township, and the city of Jackson Fire Department also assisted in the fire.
Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507
Email: webmaster@wlns.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.