State Commission Approves New Historical Markers - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

State Commission Approves New Historical Markers

Posted: Updated:

WILLIAMSTON, Mich. (AP) - The Michigan Historical Commission has approved a marker for Williamston's Downtown Historic District.

The marker describes the Ingham County community's 1834 founding and also tells how the historic district reflects changes in small-town commercial architecture between the 1870s and 1950s.

A historical marker also was approved by the commission for the "Juniata House" in Tuscola County. That marker tells the story of a mid-19th-century building where an early settler provided lodging and food for travelers. The Greek Revival-style house was donated in 2002 to the Watrousville-Caro Area Historical Society.

The commission also has accepted applications for new markers commemorating the Treaty of Spring Wells inside Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne, at the Grand Trunk Railroad depot museum in Capac and for St. John Lutheran Church in Fraser.

Powered by WorldNow

2820 East Saginaw Street,
Lansing, MI  48912

Telephone: 517.372.8282
Fax: 517.372.1507
Email: webmaster@wlns.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Lansing, Inc. A Media General Company.