LANSING, MI (WLNS) – After a fire in Leslie, Lansing firefighters stayed busy at an apartment complex fire Wednesday morning.
It happened around 1 a.m. Wednesday in the 5500 block of Kaynorth Road, on Lansing’s south side.
The fire left 22 people homeless.
There's not much left to the roof at one Kaynorth Apartments building after flames tore through the third floor early Wednesday morning.
One resident recalls, “the police came in and just stated banging and kicking down people's doors.”
“I didn't see flames or anything, it was still just black smoke, so I woke my son up, then I went and woke my daughter up. And then we just started pulling ourselves together,” said Lesia Bland, witnessed flames.
Another resident, Dameian Alexander noticed the smoke when his 4-year-old started coughing.
“As soon as I opened the window, it was like we were right next to the fire,” recalls Alexander.
Alexander helped to evacuate the building by “knocking on doors, opening the doors and getting people to get up and come outside. Thank God everyone got out.”
Firefighters say the flames may have been caused by an electrical problem near the roof. Despite the fire everyone made it out safely. The apartments on the other hand, are also damaged.
“My windows were open, so my carpet is wet.” Residents say the building and everything in it smells bad, like smoke and soot.
In the end there were no injuries. Lansing fire officials tell us they'll continue to investigate how it happened.
Those displaced by the fire are getting some welcome help from the community and the Red Cross is helping. The Red Cross is providing a place to sleep and food.
"I know they're all being reassigned or found other apartment units to move into. In the meantime the red cross is also supplying money for food clothing and transportation," said Paula Spata, Red Cross.