20 years later, Jackson man talks dangers of lighting fireworks

News

JACKSON, MI (WLNS) – Jackson native Jerry Fisher was a fireworks lover. But, every July he goes back in time to 1996 when his life changed forever.

“As soon as I lit the fuse the whole thing exploded. The upcharge, the boomcharge, it just exploded. My dad was right beside me. He was injured also and it just took my hand right off,” said Fisher.

Five years later Fisher was the first person in Michigan to receive a hand transplant (he received said transplant in Kentucky).

There’s been some health complications since but, Fisher is glad for the second chance.

“I don’t regret it a bit. I like this hand a lot better than I like the hook,” said Fisher.

Injuries are a common thing to see in the Emergency Room during Fourth of July weekend.

Henry Ford Allegiance Health M.D. Rami Khoury said, “lacerations, cuts, water related injuries including drowning and head injuries we tend to see a little more. The other thing we see are burns both from grilling and from fireworks and that tends to be some of the worse things we see is that.”

So, before enjoying the holiday make sure you stay safe…

Fisher said,”if you ever get offered something like that out of the back door of a manufacturing plant or what-have-you stay away from it. Let somebody else, let the professionals do it.”

Before a good time turns into an emergency.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Michigan Headlines

More Michigan