LANSING, MI (WLNS) – More than a dozen people have to find another place to live for a while after a fire ripped through their Lansing apartment building.
It all began around 10:30 p.m. at the Lansing Park Apartments, which is in the 1400 block of East Kalamazoo Street.
Fire investigators took advantage of the sunshine to climb through the damage Friday.
As of Friday afternoon, firefighters were still looking for an exact cause.
They believe the fire started in the kitchen of one of the units, possibly on the stove.
Flames, water and smoke damaged at least two units at the apartment, affecting 13 people.
Red Cross officials say everyone at the apartment complex, in all 9 units, was asked to leave their homes because the building’s power was cut.
The Red Cross put those people up in a motel Thursday night and may have to assist again Friday night.
Lansing fire officials say one person was taken to the hospital.
She lived in the unit where the fire started. She was treated and released a short time later.
Other than that no one was seriously hurt, thankfully.
But it was a close call. 6 News caught up with a man who lived underneath one of the damaged units.
He said last night was intense.
“I heard someone jump out from the second window like I sort of heard them come down next to my window, so yeah there was a lot of people just sorta getting out of the building at once,” said Kyle Westmorland, apartment resident.
Apparently that man opened-up his door, saw flames and not seeing another way out, he went into his bathroom, climbed out the window and jumped down two stories.
Again other than the one person taken to the hospital, there haven’t been any other injuries reported.
It’s too early to tell exactly have much damage was done to those two units.
Owners of the apartment complex told the Red Cross they’re hoping to have those displaced people in vacant units nearby within the next three days.