JACKSON, Mich. (WLNS) – A man charged with shooting a teenage boy in the face in September is now heading toward a trial.
Police says he’s also the main suspect in a school bus shooting in Jackson that happened weeks later.
The preliminary hearing for 18-year-old Tyrel Stewart continued Thursday morning in Jackson County Court.
A 15-year-old boy testified that he was shot on the city’s south side Sept. 1.
In his testimony, the boy says he was shot in his face as he walked down a trail with friends.
A bullet went through his cheek and out the side of his nose.
The boy says he and a friend ran away from the scene and called 911.
He spent the night in the hospital but was released the next day.
Earlier this month at the first part of the hearing, a witness of the shooting identified Stewart as the shooter.
But the victim says he didn’t see who fired the shots.
That’s just one reason the defense argues the case against Stewart is weak.
“The victim can’t identify my client. Identification is bad. It is sorry. It doesn’t pass the giggle test,” said defense attorney George Lyons.
However, the judge says there is enough evidence to send this case to circuit court.
The trouble for the accused shooter doesn’t stop there.
Stewart is still under investigation as the prime suspect in the Jackson school bus shooting.
Police believe Stewart shot a 17-year-old in the arm as he got onto a school bus just weeks after shooting the 15-year-old.
Officials tell 6 news that they are still waiting for more witnesses to come forward before Stewart can be charged.
No trial date for the first shooting has been set.