LANSING, Mich (WLNS) – An Old Town landmark has found a new home after a delicate move.
The old “Michigan Avenue Tower” originally had been located next to the Lansing Union Station where it was used to control train traffic between the Michigan Central and Pere Marquette railroads.
It also controlled the traffic safety gates on Michigan Avenue before automation.
In 1986 the tower was retired and moved to Old Town.
Now it has been moved one more time to its new home at the Lansing Model Railroad Club on the 1500 block of Old Lansing Road.
The tower had been lifted intact onto a flatbed trailer and towed to the club grounds.
Today it was unloaded and club members will continue the restoration.
It took just eight minutes, and some very delicate work, to get the tower off the trailer and on the new base.
Donations to help with the restoration expenses can be made by clicking here.