UPDATE: As the investigation of a confirmed case of travel-related measles continues, additional information has become available that allowed Oakland County Health Division to provide precise locations, dates, and times of potential exposures. Updated information is as follows:
- Ahavas Olam Torah Center: 15620 W. 10 Mile Road in Southfield
- Fri., March 8, 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Congregation Ahavas Yisroel: 25952 Greenfield Road in Oak Park
- Wed., March 6, Fri., March 8, and March 10 – March 13 after 9:00 a.m
- Congregation Yagdil Torah: 17100 W. 10 Mile Road in Southfield
- Tues., March 5, Wed., March 6, Thurs., March 7, and Sun., March 10 after 10:00 p.m.
- Sat., March 9 – All Day
- Mon., March 11 and Tues., March 12 after 7:00 p.m.
- Dovid ben Nuchim – Aish Kodesh: 14800 Lincoln St, Oak Park
- Tues., March 5 and Wed., March 6, 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Jerusalem Pizza: 26025 Greenfield Road, Southfield
- Tues., March 12 and Wed., March 13, 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Kollel Institute of Greater Detroit: 15230 Lincoln Street, Oak Park
- Thurs., March 7, after 8:30 a.m.
- Lincoln Liquor & Rx: 25901 Coolidge Highway, Oak Park
- Fri., March 8, 12:20 – 2:45 p.m.
- Mikveh Israel Inc.: 15116 W. 10 Mile Road in Oak Park
- Fri., March 8, after 4:00 p.m.
- Mon., March 11, after 11:30 a.m.
- One Stop Kosher Market: 25155 Greenfield Road in Southfield
- Wed., March 6, 2:00- 5:00 p.m.
- Fri., March 8, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Tues., March 12, 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Yeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit (Synagogue): 24600 Greenfield Road in Oak Park
- Thurs., March 7, after 2:00 p.m.
- Sun., March 10, 2:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Wed., March 11, after 6:15 p.m.
Updates will be provided as more information becomes available.
ORIGINAL STORY: Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and Oakland County Health Division have confirmed a case of measles.
Individuals may have been exposed to measles at the Oak Park Lincoln Liquor & Rx on March 8th from 12:20 PM to 2:45 PM as well as in Southfield at Jerusalem Pizza on March 12th and March 13th from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
Potential exposures may have also occurred from March 6th through March 13th at Southfield locations such as One Stop Kosher Market, Ahavas Olam Torah Center, Congregation Yagdil Torah as well as in Oak Park Locations Yeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit and Kollel Institute of Greater Detroit.
Additional sites of potential exposure may be identified as more information becomes available.
Individuals who were possibly exposed are advised to watch for symptoms 21 days after exposure. Initial symptoms include high fever, cough, and runny nose. Additionally, tiny white spots on the inner cheeks, gums, and roof of the mouth can occur 2 to 3 days after initial symptoms begin. Within 3 to 5 days a red rash that is raised and blotchy will usually start on the face, spread to chest, arms, and legs.
If symptoms develop, it is crucial to call ahead to the healthcare provider so they can take precautions to prevent exposure in other individuals.
Measles is a vaccine-preventable disease that is spread by direct person-to-person contact, and through the air by a contagious person sneezing or coughing. The virus can live for up to two hours in the air where the infected person coughed or sneezed.
“Measles is a highly contagious respiratory infection.” said Dr. Russell Faust, Medical Director for Oakland County Health Division. “Immunizations are the best way to protect our families and communities from vaccine preventable diseases like measles, particularly in light of recent outbreaks nationally and worldwide.”
The MMR vaccine is effective within 72 hours of exposure and treatment is effective within 6 days of exposure for high-risk individuals. High-risk individuals include pregnant women, those who are immune-compromised, or individuals born before 1958.
The MMR vaccine is available through some health providers, Oakland County Health Division offices in Southfield and Pontiac as well as many pharmacies.
The MMR vaccine is a two-dose series and the Vaccines for Children program offers vaccines at no cost for eligible children.