LANSING, Mich. (AP) – Michigan’s attorney general has won preliminary approval to spend $3.4 million more to investigate Flint’s water crisis, which would more than triple overall spending on the probe.
The request was endorsed 3-0 by a State Administrative Board committee Tuesday. The full board will meet July 12 to consider the contract change.
Months ago, Attorney General Bill Schuette hired lawyer Todd Flood and 21 other outside attorneys and investigators for the probe.
An initial $1.5 million in spending was authorized through July 2017. The amendment calls for spending up to $4.9 million and extending the contract two more months.
Schuette spokeswoman Andrea Bitely says the money being requested was previously approved by the Legislature in the budget process. She says “this is not an investigation that can be done on the cheap.”