2 dead in CO poisoning in BC home; baby found alive

Michigan
battle creek co poisoning deaths 012319_1548264049133.JPG_68233585_ver1.0_640_360_1548265050728.jpg.jpg

A 5-month-old boy was found alive in the Battle Creek house where his parents died from apparent carbon monoxide poising.

Battle Creek Police Department Sgt. Todd Elliott told 24 Hour News 8 that officers were called around 8 a.m. Wednesday to a house in the 2290 block of Capital Avenue SW, north of I-94.

He said a contractor who was working on remodeling house found the couple unresponsive on a mattress. The baby was also found on the mattress.

The infant was taken to the hospital, where his condition is unknown.  

The 19-year-old Coldwater woman and 19-year-old Bronson man were pronounced dead at the scene.

The house was vacant but being remodeled by a friend of the homeowner. The Bronson man was helping with the remodel. He, the woman and baby where supposed to stay somewhere else for the night, according to a BCPD news release.

Police said a kerosene heater and gas generator were found in the house and appeared to have been used overnight.

While fire officials were investigating inside the house, sensors showed carbon monoxide levels on the first floor were 700 parts per million and above 900 parts per million on the second floor. Fire officials said carbon monoxide detectors alert at 35 parts per million and levels can be deadly at 400 parts per million.

BCPD said the incident serves as a reminder to not use kerosene or gas heaters for a primary heat source or to operate gas generators inside buildings.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Michigan Headlines

More Michigan

StormTracker 6 Radar