Fire damages Consumers Energy station in SE Michigan

Michigan
consumers_energy_logo-159532.jpg27725906

Consumers Energy is asking customers to cut back on natural gas use because of a fire in Macomb County.

A fire hit the Consumers Energy Ray Natural Gas Compressor Station just after 10:30 a.m.  it’s not known yet what caused the fire and there were no injuries.

The fire did force the utility to shut down natural gas flow through the station until repairs are made.  In the meantime, supplies are being re-routed from other storage fields in the area.

Consumers is asking business and residential customers to cut back on gas usage.

The utility suggests that customers can save energy by dialing back thermostats to a lower temperature. Use a programmable thermostat to set heat at 65 degrees when you are home and 62 degrees when you are away for less than 5 hours. 

Customers are also urged to check for leaks in your windows and doors by feeling around for cool air. Also, please ensure all windows and doors are closed tightly.

MORE: Energy saving reminders

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Michigan Headlines

More Michigan

StormTracker 6 Radar