UPDATE — 6 News has confirmed that the smell was caused by a small motor that in a blower in the building’s heating system.

The motor burned out, causing the smell to permeate throughout the building.

The school has been deemed safe and classes will return as usual tomorrow, May 4.

OKEMOS, Mich. (WLNS) – Okemos High School closed early Tuesday due to a smoky smell that permeated through the building.

No fire was detected and the fire alarm didn’t go off, but the district sent students home out of an abundance of caution around 1:00 p.m.

6 News is on scene and is gathering information. We will update this article as more information becomes available.