Palace: Prince Philip, 98, admitted to a London hospital

Michigan

FILE – In this Tuesday, June 27, 2017 file photo, Britain’s Prince Philip leaves St Paul’s Church in Knightsbridge, London. Senior royals are congratulating Prince Philip as the husband of Queen Elizabeth II celebrates his 98th birthday in private. In a tweet Monday June 10, 2019, the royal family wished Philip “a very happy” birthday. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, file)

LONDON (AP) – Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has been admitted to a London hospital “as a precautionary measure,” Buckingham Palace said Friday.

The palace said in a statement the 98-year-old Philip was admitted to the King Edward VII hospital for observation and treatment of a pre-existing condition.

He had been at the royal family’s Sandringham estate in eastern England, where the queen and her family usually spend Christmas. The 93-year-old queen traveled to Sandringham from London on Friday morning after attending the State Opening of Parliament in London on Thursday.

The palace said Philip didn’t travel by ambulance and it wasn’t an emergency admission. The duke is expected to be in hospital for a few days.

Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, married Elizabeth in 1947 and is the longest-serving consort in British history.

He stopped attending public engagements in 2017.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Michigan Headlines

More Michigan

StormTracker 6 Radar