WHITE CLOUD, Mich. (WOOD) — Five months before she and her three children were found dead of gunshot wounds near Cedar Springs, a social worker filed paperwork to have Aubrianne Moore committed to a psychiatric hospital.

In a petition for mental health treatment filed in Newaygo probate court on Sept. 19 of last year, the social worker said Moore was dangerous and a clinical certificate filed the same day said she had been diagnosed with “unspecified schizophrenia.”

Moore’s body was found Monday at the home of her boyfriend on 19 Mile Road near Division Avenue in Solon Township. On Tuesday, authorities found a second scene nearby where they believe the Moore’s daughters were shot. Family members say they believe the mother killed her daughters before taking her own life. They identified the girls as Alaina Rau, 2; Cassidy Rodery, 6; and Kyrie Rodery, 8.

Kent County Sheriff Michelle LaJoye-Young stopped shy of confirming the deaths were a suspected murder-suicide, only saying that no arrests had been made in the case and that detectives didn’t suspect there was a killer at large.

In September, while Moore was hospitalized at Spectrum Health United Hospital in Greenville, a social worker filed a petition with the court to have her placed in a mental health institution. It’s not clear from the records why she was being treated at Spectrum.

“I believe the individual has mental illness and as a result of that mental illness the individual can reasonably be expected within the near future to intentionally or unintentionally seriously physically injure self or others and has engaged in an act or acts or made significant threats that are substantially supportive of this expectation,” the petition reads.

“Aubrianne is keeping her kids home from school because the television told her there would be a school bus accident today,” the social worker wrote. “Aubrianne stays awake at night believing people will break into her home. Aubrianne is not eating believing food is being poisoned.”  

In the clinical certificate, a doctor said Moore experienced hallucinations, paranoia and was unable to understand her need for treatment.

A Newaygo probate judge ordered she be hospitalized for “up to 60 days, followed by alternative treatment up to 90 days,” the records show.

Moore signed paperwork agreeing to be hospitalized at Forest View Psychiatric Hospital in Grand Rapids Township. She wrote that she would also seek alternative treatment under the supervision of a “private doctor” or Newaygo County Community Mental Health.

Court records indicate Moore was hospitalized, but it’s not clear for how long. It’s also unclear if she sought the alternative treatment as ordered.

Some family members of the children told 24 Hour News 8 that efforts were being made to remove the children from their mother’s custody.

Court records show no history of court filings pertaining to the children’s safety and it doesn’t appear Children’s Protective Services was engaged about the matter following Moore’s hospitalization.

Brandon Rodery is the father of two of the victims. He told 24 Hour News 8 Tuesday that he struggles with the idea that their mother would hurt the children.

“She was a very loving mother. … She was so protective. This is the last thing I would’ve expected,” Rodery said. “She loved her kids. That’s why I don’t understand what happened.”

Rodery said he was aware of the mental health treatment late last year. He says he isn’t sure what happened after Moore left Forest View Hospital.

“I don’t know if anybody did any follow up. I don’t know if they monitored her,” he said. “I’m guessing from what happened that she probably wasn’t taking her medication.”

“I don’t want to try to justify any of this,” Rodery continued. “She wasn’t in her right mind or she wouldn’t have done it. … I don’t want her to be portrayed as a monster or anything like that.”

If you or someone you know struggles with suicidal thoughts, there is help. Contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1.800.273.8255.