Thousands “Race for the Cure” to fight breast cancer

Michigan

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) – A sea of pink filled the streets of downtown Lansing today for breast cancer and according to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, the disease takes more lives than any other cancer for women in the U.S.

Today, thousands got together to fight against that statistic and “Race for the Cure.”

6 News was at Adado Riverfront Park today where the race started.

One in eight women in the U.S, will develop invasive breast cancer in their lifetime and some of those women are from right here in Mid-Michigan.

Today, about 4,000 people came together for the Susan G. Komen “Race for the Cure,” and breast cancer survivors told 6 News why today’s event is a step towards ending cancer.

Runners, walkers and survivors take strides against breast cancer.

Executive Director for Susan G. Komen of Michigan Jennifer Jurgens, says cancer is real to many families in Mid-Michigan.

“One of the reasons that this is so important is that in the 20 counties that we serve, 35 women are still killed each month by breast cancer, said Jurgens.

Michigan’s first lady, Sue Snyder shares her experience as well.

“I’m a 12-year breast cancer survivor and my mother lost her battle with it when I was younger and my grandmother was diagnosed with it too,” Snyder stated.

Loretta Sargent is one of those survivors.

“We are survivors!” chanted a group a ladies in pink.

She and 33 others are running strong today as they represent YMCA’s “turning point,” a Susan G. Komen funded workout program.

“And some of the money that is raised here today will support these women and their exercise,” said Joy Berwald; Representative of the YMCA “Turning Point” program.

Officials say 75% of funds raised today will go towards programs in the community and the other 25% will support cancer research.

“We now know that when you find breast cancer early before it leaves the breast, you have a 99% survival rate, so the money we raise today is going to help more women in Michigan find it earlier when their chances of survival are the absolute best,” Jurgens stated.

Today’s race raised just over $50,000 dollars.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Michigan Headlines

More Michigan