UPDATE: Early morning search ends, suspect dies of gunshot wounds


UPDATE – The Eaton County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that David Sprague has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

UPDATE – Authorities say David Sprague is the man who led authorities on a Sunday morning man hunt. He was located late Sunday morning inside of a shed with a self-inflicted gun shot wound to the head. Sprague’s condition is unknown as of Monday morning.

EATON COUNTY, Mich. (WLNS) – It happened just before 3 a-m. at the Meijer store on West Saginaw Highway for a man having troubles with his car.

When police arrived, the car took off and led police on a short chase then the suspect fled on foot leading to a massive man hunt near Waverly Street.

Tonight police are happy to say that the suspect is in custody but it certainly was a nerve-wracking situation for those who live in the area where this all went down.

People were told to lock all their doors and stay inside their homes because the person they were looking for could harm others and himself.

“I was actually worried that maybe something happened to one of my neighbors,” said Lansing resident Cindy Long.

“Initially a little concerned because I had no idea what was going on,” Sharon Burke stated, who witnessed police roaming her neighborhood.

“There’s nothing we could really do right, we were helpless,” Hanna Holmi said who also saw police in her lawn searching for the suspect.

Curiosity…that was the mutual feeling among many as police swarmed their neighborhood, flashing lights and all.

“I looked out my bedroom window and saw four cops lined up down the road and then I saw they were stationed in our driveway as well,” Holmi stated.

The sound of helicopters hovering in the sky woke Holmi up early this morning.

“I could see them searching in yards with flashlights and it was just an unusual sight you know you don’t expect to wake up in the middle of the night and see them in your yard,” she said.

Holmi lives right next to Sharp park where police spent a lot of time looking for a man who was believed to be armed and potentially suicidal.

Eaton County Sheriff Tom Reich told the media in a news conference this morning that minutes before the search took place, the suspect led police on a car and foot chase.

“When the foot pursuit began, it was very short, the individual had a gun pointed to his head,” Eaton County Sheriff Tom Reich stated.

After trying to reason with the man, deputies backed off and the suspect got away which forced multiple agencies to form a perimeter.

That’s when Sheriff Reich says gun shots rang out near a shed where the man was located.

“Our deputies approached the shed again and seen that the individual was down with a self-inflicted wound to the head area,” Sheriff Reich stated.

The suspect was taken to a local hospital with unknown injuries and fortunately no one else was hurt.

There is however a sense of relief tonight among neighbors.

“It’s reassuring to realize the police force will react quickly in a coordinated manner,” said police witness John Burke.

Police have not released the name of the suspect in this case and it’s unclear what, if any charges he could face moving forward.

Be sure to stay with 6 News. As soon as we have new information, we’ll update you on air and online.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Michigan Headlines

More Michigan