Do Your Homework Before Choosing Your Builder — Mayberry Homes
Use our checklist to help you select a builder to build your new home:– Does the builder have a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and suppliers?
- How long have they been in the building business?
It usually takes three to five years to establish a financially sound business. Will they be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties?
- Does the builder have sufficient workers compensation and general liability insurance?
If not, you may be liable for any construction-related accidents on your premises.
- Will the builder provide you with names of previous customers?
Ask them if they would hire the builder again.
- Have you seen the builder’s work, both completed and in progress?
Check for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Are you able to communicate with the builder?
Remember you will be in close contact with them throughout the construction process and afterward as you live in your new home.
- Will the builder provide you with a complete and clearly written contract?
The contract will benefit both of you. Review it carefully.
- Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids.
If the builder is unable to pay for the materials and labor as the project proceeds, this may indicate a potential problem.