Parents react after 2nd threat made to Stockbridge school

News

Parents in Stockbridge want answers after a second threat was made to the Junior/Senior High School by the same person.

School officials said in an email to parents the post on social media was made by the same person who allegedly made a bomb threat in February.

Adam Roberts says the latest threat has his children scared to go to school.

“I don’t know how to tell my kids it’s gonna be okay,” he said. “It’s easy for me to protect them when they’re here. When I’m here. I can’t do that when they’re in school.”

The person, a former student at the school, was not charged for last month’s threat, after prosecutors say they found “No criminal threat” in his post on social media. Police Chief Johnnie Torres said at the time bullying played a role in those threats.

After Monday’s threat, Torres posted on the department’s Facebook page that officers found no crime was committed, and instead had the person who posted it seek medical treatment.

But news of that prompted parents to start an online petition for Stockbridge Superintendent Karl Heidrich to hold a town hall meeting to address their concerns. They’re asking for better communication from the district, and also want to know what they can do to ensure school is safe for their children.

Heidrich said in an email to 6 News he’s aware of the petition, and plans to follow up Tuesday.

Roberts says it shouldn’t have come to this point.

“This individual…second time coming. It should have been dealt with properly the first time. His media should have been taken away,” he said. “Something has to be done.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 6 Radar