UPDATE (7:25 a.m.) – Carrabba’s Restaurant is expecting to re-open today.
The restaurant closed voluntarily Tuesday for cleaning after reports of people getting sick after eating there.
The Barry-Eaton District Health Department has been investigating reports of illnesses after eating at the Saginaw Road Carrabba’s.
There have been a number of people who posted on the 6 News Facebook page that they were sick after eating at the restaurant.
The health department has recommendations for people who have become ill or are in contact with someone who is sick.
“If you or someone in your family has been ill with a vomiting or diarrhea-causing virus, we recommend thorough cleaning using a bleach solution (1/3 cup bleach to 1 gallon water). The ill person should stay home 48 hours after the last loose stool or vomiting episode, and avoid preparing food for others.” – Barry-Eaton District Health Department
6 News will continue to follow this story and will have updates online and on 6 News tonight
UPDATE (9:54 p.m.) – The Barry-Eaton District Health Department said on their Facebook page that they are investigating a “gastrointestinal illness cluster” after multiple people who ate at the Saginaw Rd. Carrabba’s got sick.
They’re asking for information, saying “if you or someone in your family became ill with nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms in the past several days, please contact us during normal business hours.”
For anyone who did get sick and is having vomiting or diarrhea, the health dept. recommends thorough cleaning with a bleach solution (1/3 cup bleach to 1 gallon water). The health dept. also says people who were sick should stay home for 48 hours after the last loose stool or vomiting episode. During that time period people should also avoid preparing food.
LANSING, MI (WLNS) – A popular Lansing restaurant has closed its doors temporarily and voluntarily.
That’s after a few customers at Carrabba’s reported eating there and getting sick.
This whole thing appears to have started Monday. That’s when one person got in touch with Carrabba’s to let them know they got sick after eating at the restaurant. There were additional calls on Tuesday. Carrabba’s said, “One phone call puts us on alert, but doesn’t necessarily indicate a pattern. When we received additional calls Tuesday, we made the decision to close.”
So health inspectors came to the restaurant to do an inspection.
But they tell 6 News they did not find anything that could explain why people got sick.
That didn’t stop workers at Carrabba’s from voluntarily closing their doors.
6 News was told health officials are cleaning the place from top to bottom as a precaution.
No one from the restaurant would go on camera.
But officials from the restaurant’s corporate headquarters tell us they have been in touch with the health department who told them they are taking the right steps.
Restaurant officials said in a statement “When we received calls that people had become ill, we didn’t want to take any chances and voluntarily closed the restaurant yesterday. We immediately discarded all food and began sanitizing the restaurant from top to bottom. We will continue to closely monitoring employees and have always had the rule that only healthy team members will work. We’ve been in touch with the health department, who has confirmed we’re taking all the right steps and say it is safe for us to reopen. We will reopen tomorrow.”
If you’ve eaten at this particular restaurant recently and didn’t feel well afterwards the Eaton-Barry Health Department is asking that you contact them.
That phone number is: 517-543-2430.
6 News is here for you. We will continue to follow this story and provide updates when they are available.