UPDATE (6:30 P.M.) – Residents living in the village of Freeport are being advised that they can now use their water if they boil it first.
The village has been under a “no contact” water advisory since Friday.
When the valve on a fire truck that was fighting a warehouse fire broke, it leaked fire retardant into the town’s water supply.
Research has since determined that the risks from skin contact, inhalation or ingestion of the water are minimal, but it is still necessary to boil water before use.
Officials are advising residents to continue using boiled or bottled water until further notice.
You can check for updates on the “Village of Freeport” Facebook page.
VILLAGE OF FREEPORT, MI – Residents living in the Village of Freeport are under a “no contact” water advisory, after village drinking water became contaminated Friday night.
Firefighters were called to put out flames at a local business overnight.
Village officials report that fire retardant somehow breached the village water system in the process of putting out the flames.
The advisory only applies to Village residents using Village water.
Those using well water are not affected by the advisory.
According to the Village Facebook page, the amount of the chemicals that leaked into the water system is not poisonous, however if exposed to the contaminated water some may experience a skin irritation and dryness.
Residents are encouraged to continue drinking bottled water, which is available at the Freeport Fire Department.